Today’s Slideshow is courtesy of Lucio Gomes – Archives
Check out more pics
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA SURF FORECAST UPDATED 5-16-14
* 5-15-14 Submitted by Mike D – Watch it full screen. Click here to see the videoThis video is kind of a teaser again. I barely missed the money shot 2 days in a row. It’s almost as if these sharks are taunting me. Day 2 of my quest to capture an airborne Great White Shark on video. Day 1 I only got the splash. Day 2 I got a glimpse of the shark and the splash, Day 3… that’s tomorrow… we’ll see! Close only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades and sharks!
* 5-14-14 Submitted by Mike D – A GWS breached near the big jetty at 9AM but only the splash was caught on video. Click here to see the video Another GWS approx 4-6ft long was seen at 45th st at 1:30PM
* 5-9-14 Submitted by Lev – GWS approx 5-6ft long launched completely out of the water twice. It was in the air at a 45 degree angle with its tail maybe 2 feet above the water. Discovery Channel type sh%t. Was surfing south of 40 at around 10am, handful of guys out. Shark was just outside the lineup.
* 5-8-14 Submitted by Gary Castro – Thursday morning paddle out around 39th/40th @ 0555. 5 surfers in the line up and one surfer paddling out witnessed full breach of 4-6ft juvenile GWS with a fish in his mouth.
At least 25 min. later I was paddling back out and between myself and another surfer, the distance of 40 ft, a triangular dorsal fin breaks the surface and submerges in an instant.
* 5-5-14 Another Juvenile Great White Shark was spotted cruising through the line up at El Porto again on Monday. In addition I, (along with 2 others), witnessed a 6-7 foot GWS jump completely out of the water near 45th street. If you see anything noteworthy out there, feel free to send us
* 5-8-14 A 4-5 footer was seen jumping at 34th st this morning – another possible juvenile GWS was spotted between 45th and the jetty. an email with the details.
Saturday morning should see waist high plus sets out of the SW from a 190-195 degree angle.
2014-05-17 Sat 05:51 AM Sunrise
2014-05-17 Sat 06:12 AM -0.99 feet Low Tide
2014-05-17 Sat 08:38 AM Moonset
2014-05-17 Sat 12:46 PM 3.79 feet High Tide
2014-05-17 Sat 05:28 PM 2.05 feet Low Tide
2014-05-17 Sat 07:50 PM Sunset
2014-05-17 Sat 10:56 PM Moonrise
2014-05-17 Sat 11:43 PM 5.86 feet High Tide
The conditions will deteriorate a bit more as high pressure breaks apart, but remain okay for most of the day. The winds will start off out of the SE at 4-6 MPH until 10AM and 9-11 MPH out of the West in the afternoon. The air temp dips to 76 degrees.
For Sunday morning there will be waist high plus pulses out of the S/SW, (195 degrees), and some fresh, short interval, NW wind swell in the waist to chest high range for the exposed West facing beaches.
2014-05-18 Sun 05:50 AM Sunrise
2014-05-18 Sun 07:05 AM -0.79 feet Low Tide
2014-05-18 Sun 09:42 AM Moonset
2014-05-18 Sun 01:48 PM 3.77 feet High Tide
2014-05-18 Sun 06:28 PM 2.29 feet Low Tide
2014-05-18 Sun 07:50 PM Sunset
2014-05-18 Sun 11:46 PM Moonrise
The conditions will be tolerable with S/SE/SSE breezes in the 3-5 MPH until 10AM and those will turn West at 10-13 MPH in the afternoon. The air temp drops down to a comfortable 72 degrees.
For Monday morning we’ll see a combination of 6-8 second interval NW wind swell and 16-18 second interval SW energy in the chest high plus range with larger sets showing up later in the day.
2014-05-19 Mon 12:38 AM 5.42 feet High Tide
2014-05-19 Mon 05:49 AM Sunrise
2014-05-19 Mon 08:02 AM -0.50 feet Low Tide
2014-05-19 Mon 10:48 AM Moonset
2014-05-19 Mon 02:57 PM 3.88 feet High Tide
2014-05-19 Mon 07:48 PM 2.44 feet Low Tide
2014-05-19 Mon 07:51 PM Sunset
The conditions will still be okay with variable breezes out of the SE/SSE in the 2-6 MPH zone until 10AM and then go 11-13 MPH out of the West in the afternoon. The air temp tops out at 69 degrees.
For Tuesday morning we’ll see continued 6-8 second interval NW wind swell and 16 second interval SW energy in the chest to shoulder high range for the standout South facing breaks. Onshore winds will come up early and blow hard into the early evening.
2014-05-20 Tue 12:32 AM Moonrise
2014-05-20 Tue 01:44 AM 4.88 feet High Tide
2014-05-20 Tue 05:49 AM Sunrise
2014-05-20 Tue 09:04 AM -0.18 feet Low Tide
2014-05-20 Tue 11:53 AM Moonset
2014-05-20 Tue 04:04 PM 4.14 feet High Tide
2014-05-20 Tue 07:52 PM Sunset
2014-05-20 Tue 09:26 PM 2.33 feet Low Tide
The conditions look a little iffy with variable breezes out of the SE/SSE in the 2-7 MPH zone until 9AM and then pick up to 15-25 MPH out of the West in the afternoon. The air temp dips down to a 67 degrees.
The current water temps Newport 64 degrees, Huntington 65 degrees, the South Bay showed as 63 degrees, Santa Monica 63 degrees and Malibu 61 degrees.
I’ll be back on Sunday with the next update!