Today’s Slideshow is courtesy of Lucio Gomes – Archives
Check out more pics
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA SURF FORECAST UPDATED 5-15-14
* 5-15-14 Submitted by Mike D – http://youtu.be/ylVwofwXR9U Watch it full screen. This video is kind of a teaser again. I barely missed the money shot 2 days in a row. It’s almost as if these sharks are taunting me. Day 2 of my quest to capture an airborne Great White Shark on video. Day 1 I only got the splash. Day 2 I got a glimpse of the shark and the splash, Day 3… that’s tomorrow… we’ll see! Close only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades and sharks!
* 5-14-14 Submitted by Mike D – A GWS breached near the big jetty at 9AM but only the splash was caught on video. Click here to see the video Another GWS approx 4-6ft long was seen at 45th st at 1:30PM
* 5-9-14 Submitted by Lev – GWS approx 5-6ft long launched completely out of the water twice. It was in the air at a 45 degree angle with its tail maybe 2 feet above the water. Discovery Channel type sh%t. Was surfing south of 40 at around 10am, handful of guys out. Shark was just outside the lineup.
* 5-8-14 Submitted by Gary Castro – Thursday morning paddle out around 39th/40th @ 0555. 5 surfers in the line up and one surfer paddling out witnessed full breach of 4-6ft juvenile GWS with a fish in his mouth.
At least 25 min. later I was paddling back out and between myself and another surfer, the distance of 40 ft, a triangular dorsal fin breaks the surface and submerges in an instant.
* 5-5-14 Another Juvenile Great White Shark was spotted cruising through the line up at El Porto again on Monday. In addition I, (along with 2 others), witnessed a 6-7 foot GWS jump completely out of the water near 45th street. If you see anything noteworthy out there, feel free to send us
* 5-8-14 A 4-5 footer was seen jumping at 34th st this morning – another possible juvenile GWS was spotted between 45th and the jetty. an email with the details.
For Friday morning the swell will continue to back down, but still dish up chest to possibly shoulder high sets at the standout South facing beaches. Case and point, I surfed Huntington this morning, (Thurs), at chest to head high 530-730AM, (shape sucked), and SUPped El Porto 10-11AM and it was waist high plus on the few sets that were able to squeak in there. It’s all about the angles.
2014-05-16 Fri 05:24 AM -1.07 feet Low Tide
2014-05-16 Fri 05:51 AM Sunrise
2014-05-16 Fri 07:38 AM Moonset
2014-05-16 Fri 11:51 AM 3.88 feet High Tide
2014-05-16 Fri 04:40 PM 1.81 feet Low Tide
2014-05-16 Fri 07:49 PM Sunset
2014-05-16 Fri 10:01 PM Moonrise
2014-05-16 Fri 10:56 PM 6.14 feet High Tide
The conditions will still be pretty good with variable breezes out of the East in the 2-6 MPH zone until 10AM and then go 6-9 MPH out of the West in the afternoon. The air temp dips down to a balmy 85 degrees.
Saturday morning looks smaller as the SW energy drops down into the waist high plus zone with fewer waves in the sets and longer time gaps between them, (and once again the severity of the swell angle will exclude all but the most exposed South facing breaks).
2014-05-17 Sat 05:51 AM Sunrise
2014-05-17 Sat 06:12 AM -0.99 feet Low Tide
2014-05-17 Sat 08:38 AM Moonset
2014-05-17 Sat 12:46 PM 3.79 feet High Tide
2014-05-17 Sat 05:28 PM 2.05 feet Low Tide
2014-05-17 Sat 07:50 PM Sunset
2014-05-17 Sat 10:56 PM Moonrise
2014-05-17 Sat 11:43 PM 5.86 feet High Tide
The conditions will deteriorate a bit more as high pressure breaks apart, but remain okay for most of the day. The winds will start off out of the SE at 4-6 MPH until 10AM and 9-11 MPH out of the West in the afternoon. The air temp dips to 76 degrees.
For Sunday morning there will be small, sporadic pulses out of the S/SW and some fresh, short interval, NW wind swell in the waist to chest high range for the exposed West facing beaches.
2014-05-18 Sun 05:50 AM Sunrise
2014-05-18 Sun 07:05 AM -0.79 feet Low Tide
2014-05-18 Sun 09:42 AM Moonset
2014-05-18 Sun 01:48 PM 3.77 feet High Tide
2014-05-18 Sun 06:28 PM 2.29 feet Low Tide
2014-05-18 Sun 07:50 PM Sunset
2014-05-18 Sun 11:46 PM Moonrise
The conditions will be okay again with SE/SSE breezes in the 3-5 MPH until 10AM and those will turn West at 10-13 MPH in the afternoon. The air temp drops down to a comfortable 70 degrees.
The current water temps Newport 62 degrees, Huntington 61 degrees, the South Bay showed as 60 degrees, Santa Monica 62 degrees and Malibu 60 degrees.
I’ll be back on Friday with a look into next week!