Today’s Slideshow is courtesy of Lucio Gomes – Archives
Check out more pics
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA SURF FORECAST UPDATED 5-14-14
* 5-14-14 Submitted by Mike D – A GWS breached near the big jetty at 9AM but only the splash was caught on video. Click here to see the video Another GWS approx 4-6ft long was seen at 45th st at 1:30PM
* 5-9-14 Submitted by Lev – GWS approx 5-6ft long launched completely out of the water twice. It was in the air at a 45 degree angle with its tail maybe 2 feet above the water. Discovery Channel type sh%t. Was surfing south of 40 at around 10am, handful of guys out. Shark was just outside the lineup.
* 5-8-14 Submitted by Gary Castro – Thursday morning paddle out around 39th/40th @ 0555. 5 surfers in the line up and one surfer paddling out witnessed full breach of 4-6ft juvenile GWS with a fish in his mouth.
At least 25 min. later I was paddling back out and between myself and another surfer, the distance of 40 ft, a triangular dorsal fin breaks the surface and submerges in an instant.
* 5-5-14 Another Juvenile Great White Shark was spotted cruising through the line up at El Porto again on Monday. In addition I, (along with 2 others), witnessed a 6-7 foot GWS jump completely out of the water near 45th street. If you see anything noteworthy out there, feel free to send us
* 5-8-14 A 4-5 footer was seen jumping at 34th st this morning – another possible juvenile GWS was spotted between 45th and the jetty. an email with the details.
For Thursday morning that long interval SW swell will take center stage providing chest to shoulder high plus sets for the best South facing breaks. This energy will move in from 185-200 degrees.
2014-05-15 Thu 04:40 AM -0.99 feet Low Tide
2014-05-15 Thu 05:52 AM Sunrise
2014-05-15 Thu 06:42 AM Moonset
2014-05-15 Thu 11:01 AM 3.97 feet High Tide
2014-05-15 Thu 03:58 PM 1.60 feet Low Tide
2014-05-15 Thu 07:48 PM Sunset
2014-05-15 Thu 09:01 PM Moonrise
2014-05-15 Thu 10:15 PM 6.25 feet High Tide
The conditions should be good again as high pressure remains intact. We’ll see 4-12 MPH breezes out of the East, (stronger below passes and canyons), until early afternoon and those will get up to 10-12 MPH out of the West in the afternoon. The air temp gets up to an ungodly 96 degrees.
For Friday morning the swell will back down very slightly, but still dish up chest to possibly shoulder high sets at the standout South facing beaches.
2014-05-16 Fri 05:24 AM -1.07 feet Low Tide
2014-05-16 Fri 05:51 AM Sunrise
2014-05-16 Fri 07:38 AM Moonset
2014-05-16 Fri 11:51 AM 3.88 feet High Tide
2014-05-16 Fri 04:40 PM 1.81 feet Low Tide
2014-05-16 Fri 07:49 PM Sunset
2014-05-16 Fri 10:01 PM Moonrise
2014-05-16 Fri 10:56 PM 6.14 feet High Tide
The conditions will still be pretty good with variable breezes out of the East in the 1-4 MPH zone until 10AM and then go 10-13 MPH out of the West in the afternoon. The air temp dips down to a mere 85 degrees.
Saturday morning looks smaller as the SW energy drops down into the waist high plus zone with fewer waves in the sets and longer time gaps between them.
2014-05-17 Sat 05:51 AM Sunrise
2014-05-17 Sat 06:12 AM -0.99 feet Low Tide
2014-05-17 Sat 08:38 AM Moonset
2014-05-17 Sat 12:46 PM 3.79 feet High Tide
2014-05-17 Sat 05:28 PM 2.05 feet Low Tide
2014-05-17 Sat 07:50 PM Sunset
2014-05-17 Sat 10:56 PM Moonrise
2014-05-17 Sat 11:43 PM 5.86 feet High Tide
The conditions will deteriorate a bit more but remain okay. The winds will start off out of the SE at 4-6 MPH until 10AM and 9-11 MPH out of the West in the afternoon. The air temp dips to 76 degrees.
For Sunday morning there will be small, sporadic pulses out of the S/SW and some fresh, short interval, NW wind swell in the waist to chest high range for the exposed West facing beaches.
2014-05-18 Sun 05:50 AM Sunrise
2014-05-18 Sun 07:05 AM -0.79 feet Low Tide
2014-05-18 Sun 09:42 AM Moonset
2014-05-18 Sun 01:48 PM 3.77 feet High Tide
2014-05-18 Sun 06:28 PM 2.29 feet Low Tide
2014-05-18 Sun 07:50 PM Sunset
2014-05-18 Sun 11:46 PM Moonrise
The conditions will be okay again with SE breezes in the 4-7 MPH until 10AM and those will turn West at 10-13 MPH in the afternoon. The air temp drops down to a comfortable 72 degrees.
The current water temps Newport 62 degrees, Huntington 64 degrees, the South Bay showed as 61 degrees, Santa Monica 59 degrees and Malibu 56 degrees.
I’ll be back on Thursday with the next update!